Southampton University, U.K.
PhD Physics ’93
High Energy Physics Institute, Academia Sinica, China
MS Physics ’89
Tsinghua University, Beijing, P.R. China
BS Physics ’86
Research Interests: ^top
Position-sensitive room-temperature semiconductor radiation imaging detectors, low-noise charge sensitive application specific integrated circuitries, gamma-ray image reconstruction, gas and scintillation radiation detectors, PET nuclear medicine imaging, experimental gamma-ray astrophysics
- 2013 College of Engineering Rexford E. Hall Innovation Excellence Award, UM
- 2012 Room-Temperature Semiconductor Detector Scientist Award
- 2010 Top 100 R&D Award (PNNL & UM)
- Outstanding Faculty Achievement Award, Department of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences, University of Michigan, 2005
- Outstanding Teaching Award (voted by students), Department of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences, University of Michigan, in 1999 and 2003.
- 2008 – Present: Professor, Nuclear Engineering & Radiological Sciences (NERS), UM.
- 2004-2008: Associate Professor, Nuclear Engineering & Radiological Sciences Dept.
- 1998-2004: Assistant Professor, Nuclear Engineering & Radiological Sciences Dept.
- 1995-1998: Assistant Research Scientist, Nuclear Engineering & Radiological Sciences Dept.
- 1994-1995: Post-doctoral research fellow, NERS, UM.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Reviewer of Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, since 1994.
- Reviewer of IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Sciences, since 1993.
- Reviewer of Journal of Applied Physics and Applied Physics Letters, since 2002.
- Proposal reviewer for U.S. Civilian Research and Development Foundation, DOE, NSF, NASA.
- Member of the Program Committee: SPIE International Symposium on Optical Science, Engineering, and Instrumentation, program on Hard X-Ray and Gamma-Ray Detector Physics, Optics, and Applications, since 1997.
- NASA High Energy Astrophysics (SR&T program) Peer Review Panel, 2002 – 2005, 2007
- Program chair of SORMA international conference, May 2006, May 2010 & June 2014, Ann Arbor, Michigan (general chair was Professor David Wehe)
Ten Selected Publications
(Selected from 93 peer-reviewed publications)
- Z. He, G.F. Knoll, D.K. Wehe, R. Rojeski, C.H. Mastrangelo “1-D Position Sensitive Single Carrier Semiconductor Detectors.” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A380 (1996) 228-231.
- Z. He, G.F. Knoll, D.K. Wehe, J. Miyamoto “Position Sensitive Single Carrier CdZnTe Detectors.” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A388 (1997) 180-185.
- Z. He, W. Li, G.F. Knoll, D.K. Wehe, J. Berry, C.M. Stahle “3-D Position Sensitive CdZnTe Gamma- Ray Spectrometers.” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A422 (1999) 173-178.
- Zhong He “Review of the Shockley-Ramo Theorem and Its Applications in Semiconductor Gamma-Ray Detectors.” Nuclear Instruments and Methods, A463 (2001)250-267.
- Zhong He and Ronald D. Vigil “Investigation of pixellated HgI2 gamma-ray spectrometers.” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A492 (3) (2002) 387-401.
- Feng Zhang, Zhong He, Dan Xu, Glenn F. Knoll, David K. Wehe, James E. Berry “Improved Resolution for 3D Position Sensitive CdZnTe Spectrometers.” IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, Vol.51 (5) (2004) 2427 – 2431.
- D. Xu, Z. He, “Gamma-ray energy-imaging integrated spectral deconvolution”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A 574 (2007) 98-109.
- S.D. Kiff, Z. He, G. Tepper “Improving Spectroscopic Performance of a Coplanar-Anode High- Pressure Xenon Gamma-Ray Spectrometer,” IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, Vol. 54, No.4 (2007) 1263 – 1270.
- Christopher G. Wahl and Zhong He “Gamma-Ray Point-Source Detection in Unknown Background Using 3D-Position-Sensitive Semiconductor Detectors,” IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, vol.58, no.3, pp.605-613, June 2011.
- Yuefeng Zhu, Steve E. Anderson, Zhong He “Sub-Pixel Position Sensing for Pixelated, 3-D Position Sensitive, Wide Band-Gap, Semiconductor, Gamma-Ray Detectors,” IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science , vol.58, no.3, pp.1400-1409, June 2011.