Henry J. Gomberg Collegiate Professor of Engineering
6103 ERB 1
Center for Ultrafast Optical Science
Michigan Institute for Plasma Science and Engineering
PhD Astrophysical Sciences (Plasma Physics) ’94
MA Astrophysical Sciences (Plasma Physics) ’89
University of Western Ontario
BSc Hon. Physics ’87
- High intensity/ short-pulse laser system development
- Nonlinear optics, nuclear fusion, laser-plasma interactions
- “Table-top” particle accelerators using lasers
- High field physics
- X-ray laser development and applications
- Science and applications of pulsed power discharges
- George J. Huebner Research Excellence Award, University of Michigan College of Engineering, 2013.
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Department of Nuclear Engineering, University of Michigan, 2010.
- Professor Mitsuyuki Abe Visiting Chair, Japan Atomic Energy Agency, Kyoto Japan, 2008-2011.
- Charles V. Boys medal and prize for experimental physics – UK Institute of Physics, 2006.
- Fellow: American Physical Society, Institute of Physics, Optical Society of America.
- Berman research publication award, US Naval Research Laboratory, 1997.
- National Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada Postgraduate Scholarship,Princeton University, 9/88 – 8/91.
- Raymond Compton Dearle Gold Medal in Physics (highest GPA), University of Western Ontario, 1987.
- Students awarded Culham thesis prize for best plasma physics Ph.D. thesis in UK and Ireland: E. L. Clark 2002, Barney Walton 2005, S.P.D. Mangles 2006, P.M. Nilson 2007, L. Willingale, 2008: also European Physical Society thesis prize in plasma physics: S.P.D. Mangles, 2006, and John Dawson thesis prize: S.P.D. Mangles, 2007.
- 2006-present: Professor, Nuclear Engineering & Radiological Sciences, University of Michigan.
- 2011-present: Director, Center for Ultra-fast Optical Science (CUOS), University of Michigan.
- 2007-present: Professor, Physics, University of Michigan.
- 2007-present: Professor, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, University of Michigan.
- 2006-present: Visiting Professor, Imperial College London, Physics,
- 2003-2006: Head of Plasma Physics Group, Department of Physics, Imperial College London.
- 2003-2006: Professor, Department of Physics, Imperial College London.
- 2002-2003: Reader, Department of Physics, Imperial College London.
- 2001-2002: Senior Lecturer, Department of Physics, Imperial College London.
- 1997-2001: Lecturer, Department of Physics, Imperial College London.
- 1993-1997: Post-doctoral fellow, Cornell University/US Naval Research Laboratory.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Secretary/treasurer, American Physical Society Division of Plasma Physics 2011-2013.
- Program committee member APS/Plasma Physics conference, 2011-2013.
- Brookhaven National Lab, External Advisory Panel, Accelerator Science 2009-present
- DOE High Energy Physics Early Career Award 2014
- Review Panel member, Helmholtz Institute Jena, Germany 2009.
- Scheduling committee member, Omega Laser Facility, LLE, U. of Rochester 2009- present.
- Program committee, Laser accelerator conference, Greece, (2009) China (2011), India (2013)
- Program committee, Anomalous Absorption Conference, Colorado (2014)
- Member: International Advisory Board of Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion, 2007 – present
- Referee: Science, Nature, Nature Physics, Physical Review Letters, Imperial College Press, Princeton University Press, Optics Letters, Applied Physics Letters, EPSRC, DOE, NSF etc.
(appearing during 9/08 to 1/14)
- Number of refereed archival publications: 92
- Number of refereed conference proceedings: 39
- Number of books: 0
- Number of chapters in books: 0
- Number of other publications: 0