University of California at Berkeley
PhD Nuclear Engineering ’69
Seoul National University
- Nuclear reactor physics
- Space-time reactor kinetic
- Optimization of the nuclear fuel cycle
- Transmutation of spent nuclear fuel
- Risk and safety analysis of nuclear systems
- Power plant simulation and control
- Member, Review Committee for the NRC’s Oversight of the Davis-Besse Nuclear Power Station, U. S. General Accounting Office, 2003-2004.
- Member, Honors and Awards Committee, American Nuclear Society, 2000-2002.
- Member, University Working Group, U. S. Department of Energy, 1999-2004.
- Member, Technical Working Group, Generation IV Roadmap Project, U. S. Department of Energy, 2001-2002.
- University of Chicago Review Committee for the Reactor Analysis Division, Argonne National Laboratory, member 1992-2002, chair 1995-1996, 1999-2000.
- Member, Panel on Separations Technology and Transmutation Systems, Transmutation Subpanel, National Academy of Sciences, 1991-1996.
- Consultant, Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards, U. S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, 1975-1994.
- 1999-2004: Department Chair, Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences
- 1998-2000: Interim Director, Michigan Memorial Phoenix Project
- 1986-1986: Acting Department Chair, Nuclear Engineering
- 1981-present: Professor, Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences
- 1978-1981: Associate Professor, Nuclear Engineering
- 1974-1978: Assistant Professor, Nuclear Engineering
- 1973-1974: Senior Engineer, General Electric Company
- 1969-1973: Senior Engineer, Westinghouse Nuclear Energy Systems
- Fellow, American Nuclear Society, 1988.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, College of Engineering, Seoul National University, 2010
- Outstanding Faculty Achievement Award, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, 2008.
- Outstanding Teacher Award, Department of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences, University of Michigan, 2006 and 2007.
- Service Award, Department of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences, University of Michigan, 1998.
- Distinguished Service Award, University of Michigan Class of 1938E, 1979.