a brick tower and two autumn trees

NERS Students receive Leaders and Honors Awards

The College of Engineering gives the awards in celebration of the students who have demonstrated excellence.

Four students in the U-M Department of Nuclear Engineering & Radiological Sciences have been honored by the College of Engineering. Kaitlyn Barr, Colton Graham, Ilhan Onder, and Pengyuan Xiu have all received Leaders and Honors Awards.

According to the Office of Student Affairs, “Michigan Engineers garner tremendous achievements both in and out of the classroom during their academic career. The College of Engineering is proud to celebrate the accomplishments of students who have demonstrated excellence in their academic work, leadership experiences, and in service to others.”

Kaitlyn Barr portrait
Kaitlyn Barr

Kaitlyn Barr

Distinguished Academic Achievement—Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences

This award is presented to the outstanding undergraduate in each degree program. Criteria considered by the department awards committee include academic achievement, exemplary character, leadership in class and activities, and potential for success in future endeavors. 

“I want to thank all of the students, faculty, and staff in the Nuclear Engineering department for helping me live up to my full potential. Their support, encouragement, and inspiration have been invaluable to me. Glow blue!” —Kaitlyn Barr

Colton Graham portrait
Colton Graham

Colton Graham

Distinguished Academic Achievement—Engineering Physics

“Thanks a million to the department, all of my professors, and my research mentor, Professor Jovanovic.” —Colton Graham

Ilhan Onder

Henry Ford II Prize

This award is presented to an outstanding junior who has demonstrated academic excellence.

Pengyuan Xiu portrait
Pengyuan Xiu

Pengyuan Xiu

Towner Prize—Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences

This award is presented to the outstanding graduate student (Master’s or Ph.D. students) in each degree program. Criteria considered by the department awards committee include student’s active participation in research, leadership and academic performance (GPA). 

“I am really humbled to receive the Towner Prize for Distinguished Academic Achievement and see my research work regarding nuclear materials for safe nuclear energy get recognized. I am currently working on additive-manufactured steels for advanced reactors systems with Prof. Kevin Field and realize that there are always more efforts to make (ah-oh, but my curiosity tells me to keep exploring) regarding materials performance assessment under extreme environments. I am truly grateful for my two advisors, Prof. Kevin Field (current) and Prof. Lumin Wang (previous) for their full support for my research at NERS, as well as the state-of-art Michigan Ion Beam Laboratory (MIBL) and Michigan Center for Materials Characterization (MC2) that enable the high-quality research to happen. “  —Pengyuan Xiu

Media Contact

Sara Norman

Marketing & Communications Manager