Massachusetts Institute of Technology
PhD Electrical Engineering ’73
MS Electrical Engineering ’70
BS Electrical Engineering ’68
Research Interests: ^top
Theory of plasmas: high-power microwaves, wire Z-pinch physics, electrical contacts, heating phenomenology, nano-diodes.
- Fellow, American Physical Society (1986)
- Fellow, IEEE (2008)
- Sigma Xi Society Applied Science Award (1989)
- IEEE Plasma Science and Application Award (1999)
- 1992-Present, Professor of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- 1983-1992, Research Physicist, Naval Research Laboratory
- 1980-1983, Research Physicist, Science Application Incorporation
- 1975-1979, Assistant Professor of Applied Mathematics, MIT
- 1973-1975, Instructor of Applied Mathematics, MIT
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Faculty Appointee, Naval Research Laboratory (1998 – present)
- Intergovernmental Personnel Assignment (IPA), Air Force Research Laboratory, Kirtland AFB (2008-2009)
- Member, IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conf. Program Committee, 2009, 2010
- Member, APS Plasma Physics Division Program Committee, 2012.
- Number of refereed archival publications: 37
- Number of patents: 2
- R. M. Gilgenbach, Y. Y. Lau, D. M. French, B. W. Hoff, J. Luginsland, and M. Franzi, “Crossed Field Device,” US Patent No.: US8,841,867 B2, Sept. 23, 2014
- D. M. H. Hung, I. M. Rittersdorf, P. Zhang, D. Chernin, Y. Y. Lau, T. M. Antonsen, Jr., J. W. Luginsland, D. H. Simon, and R. M. Gilgenbach, “Absolute instability near the band edge of traveling wave amplifiers,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 124801 (2015).
- Y. B. Zhu, P. Zhang, A.Valfells, L. K. Ang, and Y. Y. Lau, “Novel scaling laws for the Langmuir-Blodgett solutions in cylindrical and spherical diodes,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 265007 (2013).
- M. R. Weis, P. Zhang, Y. Y. Lau, P. F. Schmit, K. J. Peterson, M. Hess, and R. M. Gilgenbach, “Coupling of sausage, kink, and magneto-Rayleigh-Taylor instabilities in a cylindrical liner,” Phys. Plasmas 22, 032706 (2015).
- P. Zhang, D. M. H. Hung, and Y. Y. Lau, “Current flow in a 3-terminal thin film contact with dissimilar materials and general geometric aspect ratios”, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 46, 065502 (2013).
MAJOR TECH TRANSFER ACTIVITIES
Patents and Applications
- US Patent # 7,321,604 (January 22, 2008)
- D. Umstadter, F. He, and Y. Y. Lau, “Ultra-short Wavelength X-ray System”. US Patent (Pending, filed 2010)
- R.M. Gilgenbach, Y.Y. Lau, B.W. Hoff, D.M. French, M.A. Franzi and J.W. Luginsland, “Crossed Field Device”.