University of Michigan
PhD Nuclear Engineering ’76
MSE Nuclear Engineering ’75
Bettis Reactor Engineering School
University of Wisconsin
MS Physics ’68
University of Michigan
BSE (with Highest Honors) Engineering Physics ’67
Research Interests: ^top
Development of computational methods for particle transport, including neutron, photon, and electron transport. Recent work in the deterministic methods area includes modeling resonance absorption phenomena, the development of a hybrid MOC/discrete ordinates method for reactor core analysis, and the application of the Method of Manufactured Solutions to the MOC method including multiphysics applications. Recent work in the Monte Carlo area includes methods for analysis of stochastic media, improved methods for nonlinear thermal radiation transport, acceleration methods for fission source convergence, functional tallies for Monte Carlo estimation, kernel density estimation for Monte Carlo tallies, and time-dependent Monte Carlo methods.
- 1989-present: Professor of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences.
- 2004-2010: Chair, Department of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences.
- 2002-04: Interim Director, Michigan Grid Research and Infrastructure Development (MGRID) Center.
- 2002-04: Director, Center for Advanced Computing (merger of LaSC and CPC).
- 2000-01: Long-term Visiting Staff Member, X Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- 1994-99: Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Engineering.
- 1993-94: Director, Center for Parallel Computing (CPC).
- 1990-94: Chair, Department of Nuclear Engineering.
- 1986-01: Director, Laboratory for Scientific Computation (LaSC).
- 1981-1988, Associate Professor of Nuclear Engineering.
- 1977-1981: Assistant Professor of Nuclear Engineering.
- 1976-77: Principal physicist, Combustion Engineering, Inc.
- 1969-73: Officer, U.S. Navy, Naval Reactors Division, Washington, D.C.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Member, American Physical Society Panel on the Scientific Challenges to Elimination of Highly Enriched Uranium in Civilian Research Reactors, 2017-present.
- Member, DOE IRP Review Board, May 2016.
- Member, Science, Technology, and Engineering Capability Review Committee, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2015-present.
- Member, Information Science & Technology Capability Review Committee, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2014-present.
- Member, National Academy of Sciences, Committee on the Current Status of and Progress toward Eliminating Highly Enriched Uranium Use in Fuel for Research and Test Reactors, 2014-2015.
- Member, Visiting Committee, Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering, MIT, 2008-2017.
- Member, Review Committee, Department of Nuclear Engineering, Texas A&M, 2007-2015.
- Chair, Review Panel, Computational Physics and Applied Mathematics Capability Review, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2010 and 2013.
- Member, Department Advisory Committee, Department of Nuclear Engineering, North Carolina State University, 2012 – 2017.
- Member, Nuclear Board of Advisors for Science, Engineering and Medicine (NBA SEM), Florida International University, 2013-present.
- Chair, DOE INCITE Review Committee, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 2009 – 11.
- Member, Review Committee, Nuclear Engineering and Technology Capability Review, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2011-2014.
- Member, Review Committee, Energy Engineering and Systems Analysis Directorate, Argonne National Laboratory, 2010 – present.
- Member, Board of Visitors, University of Tennessee Dept of Nuclear Engineering, 2005 – 2014.
- Member, National Academy of Sciences, Phase II Study Committee, Review of the Quality of Science and Engineering Research at the National Security Labs, 2012-2013.
- Member, Review Panel, DOE Office of Nonproliferation and Verification Research and Development, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, May 2012.
- Member, Review Panel, Computational Science, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 2011.
- Member, Laboratory Directed Research and Development (LDRD) Initiative Review Committee, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 2010.
- Member, Review Panel, Nuclear Science and Technology Directorate, Idaho National Laboratory, 2008-2012.
- Chair, External Advisory Committee, Department of Chemical and Nuclear Engineering, University of New Mexico, 2009 – present.
- Member, Predictive Science Review Panel, Livermore/Los Alamos ASCI Program, 2005 – 2011.
- Chair, Board of Visitors, U Texas Institute for Computational Engineering and Science, 2007 – 09.
- Chair, Mathematics and Computation Division, American Nuclear Society, 2007 – 08.
- Chair, Nuclear Engineering Capability Review Panel, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2008.
- Chair, External Advisory Panel, Mechanical, Aerospace, and Nuclear Engineering, Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2008.
- Member, Board of Visitors, University of Texas Institute for Computational Engineering and Science, 2003 – 2007.
- Fellow, American Nuclear Society, 1995.
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences, April 2013.
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences, April 2002.
- Glenn Murphy Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Profession and Teaching of Nuclear Engineering, American Society for Engineering Education, 1993.
- Royal Society Visiting Scholar, Imperial College, London, 1989.
(appearing during 1/08 to present)
- Number of refereed archival publications: 15
- Number of refereed conference proceedings: 41
- Number of books: 0 (edited proceedings) Number of chapters in books: 0
- Number of other publications: 30