Research Interests: ^top
- Treatment planning and optimization for external beam radiotherapy with an emphasis on intensity modulated radiotherapy, volumetric modulated arc therapy, and stereotactic body radiation therapy.
- Treatment plan individualization and adaptation based on physiologic factors and imaging.
- Radiation oncology and medical physics resident and student education.
- National radiation therapy treatment protocols for Children’s Oncology Group (COG) and the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG).
Dr. Matuszak received her Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences at the University of Michigan in 2007. She worked as a Research Associate and Staff Physicist at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan until 2009 when she returned to the University of Michigan as faculty in the Department of Radiation Oncology. Dr. Matuszak leads the Research Dosimetry section providing routine clinical service as well as participating in research activities and teaching.
- K. A. Vineberg, A. Eisbruch, M. M. Coselmon, D. L. McShan, M. L. Kessler, B. A. Fraass, “Is uniform target dose possible in IMRT plans in the head and neck?” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 52, 1159-72 (2002).
- M. M. Coselmon, J. M. Balter, D. L. McShan, M. L. Kessler, “Mutual information based CT registration of the lung at exhale and inhale breathing states using thin-plate splines,” Med. Phys. 31, 2942-2948 (2004).
- M. M. Coselmon, J. M. Moran, J. Radawski, B. A. Fraass, “Improving IMRT delivery efficiency by applying intensity limits during inverse planning,” Med. Phys. 32, 1234-1245 (2005).
- M. M. Matuszak, E. W. Larsen, B. A. Fraass, “Reduction of IMRT beam complexity through the use of beam modulation penalties in the objective function,” Med. Phys. 34, 507-520 (2007).
- M. M. Matuszak, R. Ten Haken, E. Larsen, and B. Fraass, “Uniform Radiobiological Targeting with Adaptive Diffusion Smoothing during IMRT Optimization,” Proceedings of the XVth International Conference of the Use of Computer in Radiotherapy, June 2007, Toronto, ON.
- M. M. Matuszak, E. W. Larsen, K-W. Jee, D. L. McShan, and B. A. Fraass, “Adaptive diffusion smoothing: A diffusion-based method to reduce IMRT field complexity,” Med. Phys. 35, 1532-1545 (2008).
- M. M. Matuszak, D. Yan, I. Grills, and A. Martinez, “Clinical Applications of Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy,” Int. J. Rad. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 77, 608-616 (2010).
- S. McGrath, M. M. Matuszak, D. Yan, L. Kestin, A. Martinez, and I. Grills, “Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy for Delivery of Hypofractionated Stereotactic Lung Radiotherapy: A Dosimetric and Treatment Efficiency Analysis,” Radiother. Oncol. 95, 153-157 (2010).
- T. Long, M. M. Matuszak, M. Feng, B. Fraass, R. Ten Haken, and E. Romeijn, “Sensitivity Analysis for Lexicographic Ordering in Radiation Therapy Treatment Planning,” Med. Phys. Accepted (2012).
- B. Fraass, J. Steers, M. M. Matuszak, D. McShan, “Inverse-Optimized 3-D Conformal Planning: Minimizing Complexity While Achieving Equivalence with Beamlet IMRT in Multiple Clinical Sites,” Med. Phys. Accepted (2012).