PhD Mathematics ’71
BS Mathematics ’66
Research Interests: ^top
Analytic and numerical methods for nuclear reactor theory, neutron transport, nonlinear radiative transfer, and electron transport. Derivation of exact, asymptotic, and numerical solutions and analysis of their mathematical and physical properties. Development of approximation theories for special types of transport phenomena. Derivation and analysis of numerical approximation schemes and iteration methods for deterministic problems. Development of variance reduction and hybrid methods for Monte Carlo problems.
- 1986-present: Professor, University of Michigan, Nuclear Engineering & Radiological Sciences
- 1977-1986: Staff Member, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- 1976-1977: Associate Professor, University of Delaware, Mathematics
- 1971-1976: Assistant Professor, New York University, Mathematics
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Member, CCS Division Review Panel, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2001-06.
- Member, Accelerated Scientific Computing Review Panel, Sandia National Lab, 2000-06.
- Member, Radiation Effects Sciences Review Panel, Sandia National Laboratory, 2001-06.
- Member, Technical Program Committee for biannual American Nuclear Society Mathematics and Computation Division Conferences, 1983-present.
- Member, Executive Committee of the Mathematics and Computation Division (American Nuclear Society), 1997-2002.
- Member, Editorial Board of SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, 1999-2004.
- Consultant, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1987-2012.
- Consultant, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 1987-2004.
- Fellow, American Nuclear Society, 1988
- College of Engineering Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Michigan, 1989.
- College of Engineering Excellence in Research Award, University of Michigan, 1993.
- E.O. Lawrence Award, U.S. Department of Energy, 1994.
- Arthur Holly Compton Award, American Nuclear Society, 1996.
- Special Recognition Award, Mathematics and Computation Division, American Nuclear Society, 1999.
- Eugene P. Wigner Reactor Physicist Award, American Nuclear Society (2009)
(9/08 to 4/04)
- Number of refereed archival publications: 14
- Number of refereed conference proceedings: 26 (ANS M&C conference papers) Number of books: 0 (edited proceedings)
- Number of chapters in books: 1
- Number of other publications: 9 (ANS abstracts)